Friday, August 3, 2012

Cool Kroger Secret

So I had a pretty successful grocery trip to Kroger and bought all of the following fresh veggie packs, all marked down. Pretty exciting.





I also learned that Kroger does their mark downs on all produce 3 days out from the "use by" date. The tricky thing is that they only have 1 employee who marks down one section (in the whole store) per day. The secret here is, if you see that produce (or any food) that is within 3 days of their use by date, you can find a store representative and they will mark it down for you! Neat huh? and maybe a bit shameless... I think that as long as you aren't obnoxious about it, it isn't really a big deal.
Since I conveniently found 5 different vegetable packs, it was easy to plan the weeks meals. I enjoy cooking and making up recipes, but the Olympics are on, so I made it easy on myself :). Plus I work, so I need all the time I can get to root for Team USA!!
Day 1: I made peppercorn steak fajitas with the fajita pack (sliced red and green bell peppers and onions). Sides were Arborio (we ran out of Jasmine, oh no!) rice and black beans that I mixed with corn, peppers and tomatoes.
Day 2: I made a sweet and sour pork stir fry with the pineapple and pepper produce pack. Sides were grilled corn on the cob and broccoli slaw with sesame ginger sauce. I wasn't thinking and accidentally did 2 veggies sides because I had the broccoli slaw pack and ginger sauce left over. Oh well.
Day 3: We made grilled chicken sandwiches and we used the hamburger pack fixins produce package and I roasted the already seasoned brussel sprouts with a bit of olive oil and had sweet potato wedges as the second side.
Day 4: Pasta day! I made pasta and mixed the noodles with the vegetable primavera pack (which I sautéed beforehand). I topped mine with marinara and made some meatballs and french bread on the side.
Day 5: Pizza day. I had the pizza portobellos and Will ordered Dominos ;). Annnnd I had ice cream for dessert. So glad I made the healthy choice for dinner...
I bought 4 spinach boxes and had different salads throughout the week for lunch. I also tried that wasabi arugula for fun and it was really good. Very spicy, but very good. I might detail some salad recipes in future posts, but they are nothing super exciting. I just think it's fun to make different dressings and add different toppings, depending on what I feel like :).
Meal planning like this is what I meant when I said I planned meals according to shopping trips in my Eat Healthy Without Breaking the Bank post.

PS, right now at the Richmond Hill Kroger they have a bunch of Organic Horizon milk (gal and half gal) with a sell by date of August 7, 2012, which means they are eligible for mark-downs tomorrow. They are pretty good with milk mark downs because people tend to freak out about milk going bad. I can't make any promises that people won't buy them all today, but there were about 2 rows of each at noon today and from my experience, people tend to buy milk from the back, as they are the fresher cartons.

No comments:

Post a Comment