Monday, August 20, 2012

Incredible Edible Eggs


How did the egg get up the mountain? 
It scrambled up

I love it when this happens. Every once in a while it seems Kroger does a purge of all of their Organic very perishable items in their "Nutrition" section. The other day I went and all of their Organic Valley Organic Eggs were on sale as managers specials. Even Alton Brown says these are the best kinds of eggs to buy. So naturally, I bought about 2 dozen and figured this would motivate me to come up with delicious ways to use them... and to use them in a way that wouldn't make me sick of them. Some families probably go through 2 dozen eggs in a week, but we just don't eat that many eggs. A lot of the baking I do, I do with flax egg or chia egg (it's an experimental phase...).

Anyhow, these are the ideas I came up with to use all of these eggs, in different ways, to be consumed at different times, and even stored if need be. I tried to pick ideas/dishes that showcased the egg, since they are the organic ones and you really want to showcase that fresh flavor and not hide it in a baked dish. (these egg pictures I found on pinterest and almost fell over laughing. I used them to add a little life to the post haha).

What day do eggs hate the most? 
Fry-days
1.     Boil 6, and eat them for a snack or make some egg salad (I make mine with plain greek yogurt for a healthier alternative to mayonnaise)

a.      How crazy is this: Alton Brown said the better way to eat a “hard (boiled) egg” is to actually bake it in the oven at 325 for 30 minutes. Just stick them in a muffin tin to prevent them from rolling all over the place and bake away! It makes a creamier egg yolk, if you eat them J.

2.     Make deviled eggs if you have a gathering/party you are hosting. It's a classic that never seems to die.

3.     I made a bunch of healthy egg "muffins" for breakfast that will last for about 5 days in the refrigerator or about 2-3 weeks if you freeze them. Here is my recipe for them with kale and peppers, but the concept is simple: scramble some eggs, pour them into a muffin tin, add stuff to them, and bake!

4.     I am a huge nerd and food experimenter, so I made pasta. It took 4 eggs, sorry no link. I watched Anne Burrell make it on food network and took notes. I told you I’m a nerd. But I mean, have you seen how much homemade pasta costs?! It's upwards of $7 a bag with 4 servings! I am going to buy my own Selmolina (whole) grind it in the vitamix and make some pasts to see if I can taste the difference. I know many think I am crazy for cooking like this, but it really isn't that time consuming. It just takes some forethought.

5.     Angel Food Cake (I didn’t make, but it takes 12 egg whites, I suppose use the yolks for a custard or pudding?)

6.     Host a brunch and make a frittata, or a dutch baby pancake? How about a peach dutch baby pancake ;)…

7.     Quiche’s are also really great egg dishes that you can freeze for 1-2 months.

8.     Storing Eggs: After you whip up the eggs, you can pour them into ice cube trays and freeze them. Or, if you wanted you could just freeze the whites, they will stay “good” for 12 months! Plain yolks don’t freeze well. Here is more information: http://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/eggstorage.html

9.     Make meringues with the egg whites. Or try to make Macarons like I did. And then become obsessed with making the perfect macaron, which is an art form in of itself, and extremely time consuming and difficult.

10.  Branch outside the comfort zone and try making ethnic dishes you wouldn’t otherwise make. Like egg drop soup, flan, popovers?

11.  My husband suggested that we go out into the driveway and he throws them at me. Hmm, not to be a spoil sport, but that was not a plausible option for me...

What happened to the egg when he was tickled too much? 
He cracked up

I suppose since a picture is worth a thousand words, I will spare you any more egg jokes ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment